(Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together)
The evidence is clear. Regular gentle exercise contributes to:
- overall physical health and well-being
- prevention of most lifestyle diseases
- improved management of chronic conditions
- prevention of or decreased severity of falls
- improved mental health
-enhanced emotional and social wellbeing
- increased independence through the maintenance of functional fitness and mobility
The SMART™ program is a national, evidence based gentle exercise and falls prevention program developed by VON Canada in consultation with physiotherapists, kinesiologists and older adults themselves.
The goal of the program is to assist older adults in maintaining or improving their functional fitness and independence. Functional fitness is about strength, endurance, balance and flexibility.
SMART Group Classes – SMART trained Gentle Exercise facilitator staff led 45 minute group gentle exercises (3x/week) in retirement homes or other community settings. Goal: self-maintenance or transition to WALC. Self referral.